A healthy diet can transform your body and its ability to take on the world. Natural foods focus on strengthening general bodily systems, including one’s immune system and central nervous system. You guessed it – we are referring to superfoods. If these foods affect targeted areas throughout your body, do they have the power to positively affect your spine as well? According to our research, superfoods can reduce inflammation throughout your spine thanks to the high vitamin, mineral, and antioxidant content they provide.
Which nutrients are best for your spine?
Our body needs certain vitamins and minerals to thrive. Why not try to seek out the vitamins that will not only benefit our joints and spine, but the other systems within us as well?
- Vitamin A: Supports bone health, clear vision, and immune health
- Vitamin B12: Supports healthy nerve and blood cells
- Vitamin D: Supports bone, teeth, and muscle health
- Vitamin K: Supports healthy blood circulation and blood tissue
- Calcium: Supports heart, muscle, and nerve health
- Magnesium: Supports anti-inflammation and low blood pressure
- Iron: Supports immune health and gastrointestinal health
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Supports heart health and anti-inflammation
Which superfoods benefit your spine?
There are many superfoods that contain healthy properties, although these are proven to be most helpful to those with spine health deficiencies.
- Fish: Let us start with protein. Fish provide a healthy balance of natural proteins without the unnecessary fats that other protein-rich alternatives, like beef, contain. Instead, fish are high in omega-3 fatty acids. Specialists suggest incorporating wild salmon, sardines, and tuna into a superfood diet, as these are leaner fish. Alternatively, those who do not usually eat fish can try fish oil supplements instead. Fish oil contains the same benefits found in the actual fish itself.
- Berried Fruits: Berries pack a lot of punch – superfood punch that is. Berries are high in antioxidants, which are known to improve cardiovascular health and minimize risk of infections. Some of our favorite fruits include blueberries, raspberries, goji berries, strawberries, and acai berries.
- Cabbage Vegetables: Vegetables from the cabbage family, like broccoli and cauliflower, provide high concentrations of fiber and antioxidants. These antioxidants will protect your cells from harmful free radicals and joint inflammation.
- Spices: Spice up your diet with “super” spices like turmeric and ginger. These easy-to-find spices can be added to a variety of dishes. Best of all, they boast the anti-inflammatory properties your joints and spine will appreciate.
There is no doubt that keeping your joints strong and healthy will only benefit your spine. Superfoods have the incredible power to uplift a spinal system and prepare it for lifelong health. Do you want to learn more about the benefits of superfoods in relation to your spine’s health? Call our experts at Spine Solutions at (954) 329-1769. We can fill you in on the latest spine care tips, appropriate back pain treatment, or general information regarding your spine.